This Caramel Apple Trifle recipe is the perfect treat for a Thanksgiving feast. Each DLux square mini cup is filled with layers of tasty whipped cream, cinnamon apple, and homemade caramel sauce. Don't forget to watch the video below for easy instructions.
We are convinced that cinnamon and apple is a combination dessert made in heaven. So when we found this recipe from Life, Love and Sugar, we knew we have to make a mini version of her recipe. Calling all our fellow cinnamon lovers out there because it is present in almost all layers.
Caramel Apple Trifles in Mini Cups
- 3 cups diced apples
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 6 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp salted butter, cubed, room temperature
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, room temperature
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup granola
How to cook Caramel Apple Trifles in Mini Cups
- 1. Combine apples, lemon juice, nutmeg, cinnamon and brown sugar in a saucepan. Mix to coat evenly.
- 2. Add butter and cook apples for about 15 or until apples are slightly soft.
- 3. Allow to cool.
- 1. Place sugar in a saucepan.
- 2. Heat sugar on medium-high and whisk or stir using a spatula until the sugar has melted about 5 minutes.
- 3. Continue whisking until the temperature reaches 350 degrees or the sugar has turned an amber color.
- 4. Remove caramel from heat and add butter. Whisk until melted and combined.
- 5. Add the heavy cream and whisk until combined.
- 6. Cool caramel to room temperature.
- 1. Combine whipping cream, cinnamon and powdered sugar in a bowl.
- 2. Whip on high speed until it forms stiff peaks.
- 3. Transfer into a piping bag.
- 1. Pipe an even layer of the whipped cream into the bottom of the cup.
- 2. Add about 2 tsp granola in an even layer.
- 3. Drizzle caramel over granola.
- 4. Spoon apples over caramel.
- 5. Repeat layers 1-4, then drizzle more caramel over the top.
- 6. Store in the fridge for 2-3 hours or until ready to serve.
Did you make this recipe?
Need other mini dessert ideas? Try our No Bake Blueberry Shooters and Black Forest Mini Dessert Cups too. Now let's talk about each layer of this Caramel Apple Trifle in mini cups, shall we?
The homemade whipped cream requires only 3 ingredients, whipping cream, powdered sugar and cinnamon. It is light with just the right sweetness and hint of cinnamon flavor. We love making anything with whipped cream because it is easy and can be combined with any fall fruit too, like apples.
We used plain granola but you can always go for the store-bought with cinnamon too or tossed your granola with 1/2 tsp of cinnamon. The mini cups dessert needs to be refrigerated for at least 2 hours, just enough time for the granola to soften up a little. The amazing texture combined with the rest of the ingredients is just as enticing!
How to make caramel sauce? Except when you have made many caramel sauce batches before, you probably need a candy thermometer for this. The sugar needs to reach 350 degrees Fahrenheit or turn into ember color before adding the rest of the ingredients. This may sound intimidating but with some practice, you will get the perfect caramel sauce. Or, get a store-bought and save the practice for later. We are all for it too!
We use granny smith apple for the tart and tangy flavor for the apple cinnamon. If you want to add sweetness, then you may combine it with other apples for baking like honeycrisp. Both soften up when cooked but don't get mushy.
Crunchy granola drizzled with caramel, tender apples and creamy whipped cream is what this Caramel Apple Trifle in mini cups are all about. The texture and flavor are a party in your mouth. So whether it's for Thanksgiving dinner or brunch, for sure, your family and guest will flock over this. Happy Thanksgiving!